Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Attitude, New Blog

The phrase usually goes "A Day in the Life of ..." but after the year I've had, I've decided that my new blog will focus on the life in my days.

My aunt passed away from breast cancer on April 20th. My dad succumbed to liver cancer on July 8th. My brother's father-in-law died exactly two weeks later. Then his mother-in-law died. Then my best friend's father died.

Then, a couple weeks ago, that brother mentioned above was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He's 48 and in the midst of all that was happening this summer, he retired after spending his entire adult life so far as a police officer.

And today, my sister had biopsies done on three skin spots. My grandmother had melanoma, and my mother has had dozens upon dozens of pre-cancerous lesions removed. Being a certified Baby Boomer, my sister has had a perpetual tan all her life. No sun? That's ok. That's why they invented tanning beds. These spots could prove to be nothing ... but you've now heard how our year has progressed, so we're waiting with baited breath to learn the results.

I'm not trying to bring y'all down. I just want you to know where this blog was birthed from. We've mourned and mourned and mourned some more. And now I say: enough already! I know it hasn't been a year yet, so we've got a long road ahead of us, but it's time to re-focus.

So ... new year, new attitude, and new blog ... focusing on my real life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not walking around knocking into doorways with a big ol' inflated ego. I don't think my life is that interesting. But maybe I can inspire someone just with my honest portrayal of our day-to-day life. I'm often inspired by reading the truth about others' lives ... be it their successes, their failings, or just their day-old ramblings. I'm inspired to get up and get going! Hey Jane! Get up and do something already! Quit wasting your life away, because it could be gone in a flash! In a blink.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for the rough year that you and your family have had, but I love your positive attitude...and your blog title. Best wishes on your new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete